Moss growing on roofs is a common problem that homeowners will endure. It is an unsightly blemish but even more importantly, it can threaten the overall integrity of your roof and your home.
Why do I have moss on my roof?
The shingles on your home can become an ideal grounds for moss growth with the right conditions. Moss will thrive off of:
- Moist & Humid Weather
- Indirect Sunlight because of shade
- Leaves and other debris laying on your roof
Combine all three of these factors and you’ll certainly start to have moss growth on your roof. So, the important question for a home is “how do I prevent moss growth?”
How do I prevent moss growth?
An ounce of prevention can go a long way in terms of saving your roof from moss. Follow some of these maintenance tips if you have had moss growth issues in the past or if any of the conditions above are true about your roof.
- Trim tree branches away from your roof area. They should be trimmed away for safety reasons but even more importantly you should trim away branches to allow sunlight to hit your roof.
- Make sure that leaves and sticks aren’t building up on your roof. Remove any that you find.
- Make sure that your gutters are cleaned out of any leaves
- Zinc strips. When it rains, zinc is released onto your roof and it does an amazing job at stopping moss growth.
How does moss growth affect my roof?
If you have moss growing on your roof, don’t be misled if a contractor tells you that you need a whole new roof. It can eventually cause other costs repairs and can damage the integrity of your roof but often a thorough cleaning can restore the health of your roof.
- Moss acts like a sponge
- It can soak water into the roofs under-layer
- Wetting of the wood roof layer can rapidly grow mold and cause decay
- Rainwater leaking into your house can cause mold growth in all other areas of your house as well
The most important thing as a homeowner is to just make sure that you don’t have any moss growing on your home. If you do, reach out to a contractor. If you don’t, make sure that you are following the proper maintenance to ensure it doesn’t happen in the future.
For further information please feel free to reach out to Capital Construction Contracting. We can be reached over the phone at 617-319-1225 or through our online contact form.