If you don’t pay attention to warning signs that your roof is failing, you can be caught with built up problems that could’ve been avoidable from the start. Understanding when your roof is failing is the first step to minimize damages and it can save you stress and money.
Major danger signs that your roof is failing:
1. Leaking in Attic (interior): After you are hit by a strong storm, which in New England can be a Nor’easter during the winter or a thunderstorm during the summer, go up in your attic once in a while. This will be one of the first places that leaking will occur.
2. Stains on Walls or Ceilings (interior): Have you ever seen stains on your walls or ceiling? If so, that is probably because water is seeping into your house. There are many different places that your roof could be allowing this in but it can eventually lead to mildew or mold growth.
3. Chipping or Peeling paint/wallpaper (interior or exterior): When moisture gets into your walls it can be from a water leak, or also attic ventilation.
4. Missing Granules: (exterior): As your asphalt shingles decay, the small granules that make up each shingle will start to fall off. How do you check for this? The best way to check for this is annually looking in your gutters. This is where a build up will occur.
6. Missing Shingles: (exterior): A few missing shingles here and there isn’t the end of the world as they are fairly easy to replace. But, if it happens more and more frequently it could be a sign that your roof is failing.
7. Climbing Energy Costs: When your roof starts to fail, outside air will make its way into your home. During the winter that means your heater needs to work extra hard and during the summer your A/C needs to keep up with this additional factor. If your energy costs seem to be rising, your roof could be to blame.
Also check for:
- Roof age
- Shingles that are curling or buckling
- Daylight showing through roof boards
- & more
After noticing that you need roofing help, you are halfway done. Now, it is time to choose a contractor to help.
Why should you choose Capital Construction Contracting for your roofing work?
For 15 years our team at Capital has been replacing new roofs and we are recognized by the leading roofing manufacturer of GAF as a master elite. In fact, GAF only hands out such award to 3% of all roofing contractors.
To become a GAF Master Elite contractor, you show GAF you are:
- Properly Licensed
- Adequately Insured
- Proven Reputation
- Committed to Ongoing Professional Training
Straight from the words of GAF – “Choosing a GAF Master Elite® contractor is your assurance that you’ll be dealing with a quality, reputable, and dependable professional contractor — not some “fly-by-nighter.””
Our GAF Team Recently in Action: